Deconstruction of a Pulp Continued...

After the previous post, I received a couple of questions that I thought it would be nice to address here on the blog instead of through email.

First of all, in order to make this series of paintings I had to figure out how to have access to the specific props I wanted to use. After some thinking and researching, I realized that toy or candy versions would be a cost effective, accessible and ironic choice. One clear example of this type of solution would be water guns. I would be able to pose them and light them and even amass a diverse collection of shapes and colors to choose from.

The painting posted previously was based on the revolver-style water gun you see on the left.
It was a garish bright orange that was too distracting, so I used multiple coats of gesso to make it a relatively flat white.

As you cans see from the next photograph, I have accumulated a significant collection of water guns. This will also allow me to reference different eras, periods and even genres like science fiction.